In April 1941 one Jat squadron was detached from 8th King George’s Own Light Cavalry and assigned to the newly raised 44th Cavalry then at Risalpur. Subsequently, this squadron was detached and redesignated as 100th Light Tank Squadron. It was composed of three troops and equipped with obsolete light tanks. These tanks would have been:
• Light Tank Mk II Indian Pattern
• Light Tank Mk IV India Pattern
The squadron had between 9 and 18 of these tanks.
The squadron was sent to Malaya early in 1942. On 29 January 1942, His Majesty’s Transport Empire Star arrived in Singapore with "16 tanks of obsolescent type." On 11 February 1942 a detachment of the squadron was attached to 'Massy Force' of 18th Infantry Division for counterattacks against the Japanese forces on Singapore Island. The entire squadron was lost when British forces surrendered on 15 February 1942.